Re: Europa-List: Schicke Regulator at last

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Schicke Regulator at last
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 12:51:28

Ian & Giles,

Thanks very much to both of you for the explanation, information and advice.

I will go back and check my wiring to ensure there is no fuse in the sense wire
circuit.  And I will add a crowbar module before the aircraft flies again.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

On Jul 3, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Gilles Thesee wrote:

G-IANI a crit :

> Bob
>
> In the Schicke provided diagram the fuse (0.5amp) is in the line to pin 4,
> which
is the voltage sense pin. Our (LAA) circuit puts the fuse in the line to Gen
Led only providing the protection intended. In the Schicke setup if the fuse
goes the regulator does not see the output voltage so it increases it. We have
had a report that this fried the battery in one installation. The sense line
should never be disconnected.

Ian, Bob and all,

Sorry for feeling compelled to jump in, especially since I'm not aware of your
LAA electrical requirements.
We installed a Schicke regulator in our project from the start some 7 or 8 years
ago, after performing some in-depth electrical and thermal experiments.

In my opinion, it is crucial to provide some over voltage protection, and our
circuit
includes a crowbar overvoltage module which disconnects the alternator
and regulator from the ship's bus in case of voltage excursion.
The whole system has been working flawlessly to date.

FWIW,
Kindest regards,
--
Gilles Thesee