Re: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: woodcomp install on G-umpy any tips

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: woodcomp install on G-umpy any tips
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 17:55:08
?

Carl=0Arather than knocking out the prop drive-lugs-I pressed them out.
 I used a bolt sized to fit the lug thread-=0Aand a suitable sized socket
 -to fit over the head of the lug. Then-a thick washer to-gently sque
eze them out=0Aby tightening the bolt. Better than a knocking stick, even a
 soft one. No shock to the gearbox.=0AGraham=0A=0A<<The original threaded i
nserts need to be removed (knocked out with a softhammer) from the Rotax pr
op mounting flange.>> =0A=0A________________________________=0A From: Carl
Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0A
Sent: Thursday, 7 June 2012, 12:08=0ASubject: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List:
 woodcomp install on G-umpy any tips ?=0A =0A--> Europa-List message posted
 by: "Carl Pattinson" <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>=0A=0AHi Graeme,=0A=0ACo
ngrats on your Woodcomp Purchase - we reckon that ours has added close on
=0A10kts to the cruise speed (compared with the Warp drive fixed pitch).=0A
=0AJust one word of warning - have you trial fitted the new prop or checked
=0Athat the prop spacer is the correct size for your Rotax engine ? =0A=0A"
not a lot of people know this " but over the years the 912 prop flange has
=0Achanged 3 times (ie: 3 different diameter prop flange fittings).=0A=0AIf
 your prop doesn't match the flange then you have 2 options (1) replacing
=0Athe gearbox prop shaft cost =A31,000 from Con Air or (2) getting Woodcom
p to=0Asupply the correct spacer plate (=A3200) which you can fit yourself.
=0A=0AThird (possible) option is that I have my old spacer plate(as we fell
 foul=0Aof the above issue)- which fits the newer Rotax engines. You are
welcome to=0Aborrow/ purchase our old spacer if this proves to be an suitab
le solution.=0A=0AHopefully though your nearly new prop WILL bolt straight
on to your engine=0Aand you wont need to consider any of the above.=0A=0AIf
 you need the Woodcomp inserts for your Rotax engine- I have 2 sets of=0A
these going spare (cost you the postage-- lol), also some new prop lockin
g=0Anuts (somewhere).=0A=0AThe original threaded inserts need to be removed
 (knocked out with a soft=0Ahammer) from the Rotax prop mounting flange.=0A
=0AYou may also need to space the slip ring brush support plate away from t
he=0Aengine. You can either use spacer washers or make a spacer plate from
alloy=0Asheet.=0A=0AFinally if you need to balance the prop, I have a dynam
ic prop balancer -=0Athough in my experience the Woodcomp prop is extremely
 well balanced when it=0Aleaves the factory.=0A=0ANeed any more info just g
ive me a call.=0A=0ACheers,=0ACarl=0A=0A-----Original Message-----=0AFrom:
owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com=0A[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@m
atronics.com] On Behalf Of graeme bird=0ASent: 06 June 2012 18:31=0ATo: eur
opa-list@matronics.com=0ASubject: Europa-List: woodcomp install on G-umpy a
mk.co.uk>=0A=0AGot me a nearly new david joyce style 3 wide blade woodcomp
and a smart=0Aavionics controller.=0AAny tips for installation and/or opera
tion?=0AI have the inserts on the prop 912ULS flange for the warp drive do
these=0Aneed to come out I wonder?=0AI presume I can put the Manifold press
ure sensor behind the dash, keep the=0Awires short and pipe the pressure tu
be through the firewall?=0AInstall seems straightforward.=0AI seem to recal
l mr Carl P turning his to manual regularly during our flight=0Ain his to s
top the motor working all the time.=0AHow useful is the extra external LED
which shows the motor driving?=0A=0AComments appreciated as always.=0A=0A--
------=0AGraeme Bird=0AG-UMPY=0AMono Classic/XS FWFD 912ULS/Warp drive FP
=0ANewby: 25 hours=0Ag@gdbmk.co.uk=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic online
here:=0A=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=374868#374868=0A
No infections found in this incoming message Scanned by iolo System Shield
=0ANo infections found in this outgoing message=0AScanned by iolo System Sh
==