Re: Europa-List: Vortex Generators

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vortex Generators
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 00:15:46
Bruno=0AIn my experience the quality of the low speed performance of the Cl
assic wing is largely determined by the accuracy of the profile of the lead
ing edge.=0AI=C2-spent=C2-a lot of time using computer print outs of th
e airfoil to make profile templates of the first 30cm. of the section and p
ersuade a couple of builders=0Ato spend a lot more time than I had sanding
their leading edges to those template. Both these aircraft have excellent p
erformance and a fairly benign stall.=0ASeveral other Classics I flew had f
ar from benign stall characteristics, particularly flaps down.=0AThere are
however at least two Long EZ with carefully positioned vortex generators on
 both wings and=C2-canard=C2-and they have significantly better low=C2
-=0Aspeed performance: Jim Price did the original research using wind tun
nel testing at University of Michigan and took his Long to 35,000ft. At tha
t height=0Athere was so little power that the aircraft was almost stalled a
t full power. He achieved a 7kt reduction in stall speed with a 2kt reducti
on in WOT speed.=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From:
 UVTREITH <uvtreith@t-online.de>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: T
hursday, 31 May 2012, 17:03=0ASubject: Europa-List: Vortex Generators=0A
=0A=0A =0AHi Family,=0A=C2-=0AAn Austrian Monowheel=0AClassic owner is th
inking about to install on his wings Vortex Generators?=0AIs there somebody
 who had=0Amade that and what was the result out of this?=0AIs it helpful o
r will=0Athis destroy the benefit of the Europa wings?=0A=C2-=0ASome wise
 and technical=0Ainformation would be helpful =93 thank you.=0ABest R
=