Europa-List: Re: pilots licence

Subject: Europa-List: Re: pilots licence
From: Dave Disney <davedisney@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 06:51:24

Hi Richard,

It is rather confusing, Brians advice is sound. The CAA have recently released
a new 28 page document that is easier to follow, it has dates, deadlines etc.

I'm in a similar position to you in that I have the old UK lifetime CAA licence
and I fly an Annex II aircraft (Airtourer). I don't need a new EASA licence to
fly my aircraft, but in future I may need to fly an EASA aircraft for training
or a renewal/biannual check etc.

I've decided to stump up and get a new EASA licence as it's a paperwork exercise
for me (apply send cheque to CAA etc) I can also prove the radio navigation
needed for the issue of the EASA licence.

As I understand it our CAA are happy for the holder of a valid EASA PPL to fly
non EASA aircraft ie Annex II aircraft as well as EASA aircraft. The future
'downgrade'
if you like would be to get an EASA LAPL which is also acceptable to
our CAA for flying EASA and Annex II aircraft but requires a less stringent
medical.

Here is a link to the document

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2330&pagetype=90&pageid=13059

Dave