Europa-List: Rudder/Balance

Subject: Europa-List: Rudder/Balance
From: Carl Meek <carlmeek@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 08:48:56
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to my Europa, only logged a handful of hours, and there is
one flying characteristic that's bothering me a bit.

* Just pilot in LH seat
* Aileron trim is set to full right
* Feet not touching the pedals
* ASI speed about 116 knots
* Balance ball on the left, just over a 'whole ball's distance

So...

* I step on the ball, applying some left rudder.
* Then i change the aileron trim, as full right no longer appropriate
* ASI Speed now slowly climbs about 3 knots to 119.

This tells me, with the higher airspeed, that my balance ball is accurate
and to get the aircraft in balance I need left rudder.  What's bugging me
is how much left rudder, it's a fairly substantial pressure, enough to make
my left foot feel irritated after 10/15 minutes.

The question is - why does the aircraft need some left rudder to keep
balance?  Is there anything i can adjust/correct to make it naturally
balanced so i can take my feet of the pedals?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
-Carl.