Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: Re: VP prop,

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: Re: VP prop,
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:36:33

Hi All,

Having recently fitted a CS prop (in the last 9 months) I am inclined to
agree with Peter when he says the VP prop is either optimised for take-off
or cruise performance - although it gives much more flexibility when
compared to a fixed pitch.

We fitted our Woodcomp prop in the belief that it would significantly
improve the take-off but IMHO it has made little difference compared to the
original fixed pitch Warp Drive prop. I have concluded this is because we
have an 80 hp engine and there is a limit as to how much power you can get
out of the setup. The limiting factor is of course the maximum RPM (5,700 on
take-off).

Where we have noticed a significant improvement is in the cruise. Previously
the maximum indicated speed in cruise was 135 kts - this has now increased
to about 145 kts. The reason I say indicated speed is because I believe our
ASI over reads by about 5 kts. There has been no increase in fuel burn and
if anything it is better (which is what you would expect).

Using a 912S or 914 there should be greater benefits/ improvements using a
VP prop especially with regard to take off performance.

Regarding our choice of propeller (ie: Woodcomp) there have been some
adverse comments posted in the past. All we can say is that overall are very
pleased with the Woodcomp and fitting a VP prop has certainly transformed
the performance of the aircraft (in many ways - also much smoother running)
. The controller we are using is the Smart controller which is very easy to
setup and use.

Just my 10p worth!

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS