Re: Europa-List: tufnol bearings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: tufnol bearings
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 11:30:07

Do we know this for a fact? I looked on tufnol.com and found the following:

"One potentially useful feature of TUFNOL materials is their ability
to be lubricated with water, or with a water-based process fluid.  In
many applications, this can allow the design to be simplified by
eliminating the need for a sealed bearing with oil or grease inside.
Although TUFNOL laminates are used dry in a great many less demanding
wear applications, TUFNOL bearing materials are not generally
self-lubricating and it usually is preferable to use a lubricant to
develop their full bearing potential. CBM grades are designed to give
good performance with minimal lubrication.  However, properly designed
and lubricated, TUFNOL bearings give excellent service for many years
and are frequently a cost-effective choice."