Re: Europa-List: GPS...

Subject: Re: Europa-List: GPS...
From: klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 12:47:35

Hi Fred,
I have a 496 which I like a lot, mounted in a gizmo high in the center sub
panel.
I found that I was always leaning over to the middle a bit to see it well.
It is a small screen to see details, airspace and such. I recently put a RAM
mount
for the 496 in the bit of panel above the mono gear handle, which puts the
little screen closer to my 53 year old eyes, and like it much better. It does
not look as clean as the gizmo mount but I don't care.
I recently started using a backup to my 496. I wanted to try replacing the paper
charts that I am bad about keeping current. My new "backup" is an IPad running
WingX pro7. I think it works great. Now my charts are current for under a
100bucks
a year.
If I had your Skyview instead of my D10-A I would forget the Garmin and go with
the IPad moving map (current charts!). To keep the Garmin updated will cost more
and the screen is small.
I have been subscribing to XM weather on the Garmin which I like, but is just
too
expensive for me. Now I check weather on the iPad before take off and download
it for review on course.
The iPad is a great travel "computer" that replaces the laptop.
So far I have used WingX for 30 days free.  Next I'll try ForeFlight and how
that
compares.

I was advised by another pilot using the iPad to mount it upright like your
panel,
not on your leg or some such. The reason being our canopy and the screen
brightness.
He was right. I fly with the iPad on a RAM mount off the far right
side of the panel.

Kevin
N211KA, 380 hours
Did you get that bird painted?

On Dec 3, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com> wrote:

> Some time ago I bought a "Gizmo" receptacle for a Garmin 396/496 which I'd
> confidently
installed on my central sub panel...alas, it appears that Garmin no
longer is making those models.

> I'd been attracted to its size, versatility, functionality, relatively low
> cost,
and its seemingly wide spread use and satisfaction by Europa buddies.

> So in today's market, I'm wondering if anyone would venture an opinion on
> currently
manufactured GPS units as to whether or not they offer significant additional
functionality...(?).

> My anticipated set up should serve for day/night VFR flight only, and will be
based around a Dynon Skyview EFIS (7" screen) w/ 2.25" dia. back up ALT & ASI
gauges. Panel will have a separate EMS from RWS which integrates with the RWS
ECU which manages my MPEFI'ed aftermarket Sube-based powerplant.

> Skyview allows for split screen PFD/moving map...though Dynon promises future
software updates for a fully functioning moving map sectional chart display,
currently the moving map only shows terrain and heading.

> Although I like the idea of an always-on, separate screen, my hunch is that a
stand-alone GPS will just be serving as back up once I have the Skyview moving
map update. If that's so,  I'm tempted to find a used 396/496.