Europa-List: Re : GPS

Subject: Europa-List: Re : GPS
From: John Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 14:55:51
Hi Fred,

Greetings from North Carolina. I endorse the other comments on the list
and encourage you to buy a used 396 or 496. There are a gazillion out
there so they will be supported for a long time and they work
flawlessly. I highly recommend the XM weather option which is a huge
boon when you are doing cross country trips. For most usage, the Aviator
LT package at $34.99 per mo. works fine. If you do a lot of travel or
fly IFR, then the Aviator package at $54.99 will be better. You will
also need a GXM 30A antenna for the XM service. A second benefit is that
you will have navigation redundancy with the Skyview and the 396/496. It
is always nice to have redundancy on key instruments.

Hope the project is proceeding well.

Cheers, John
N262WF
Mooresville, North Carolina

From: Fred Klein<fklein@orcasonline.com>
Subject: Europa-List: GPS...

Some time ago I bought a "Gizmo" receptacle for a Garmin 396/496 which  I'd
confidently
installed on my central sub panel...alas, it appears  that Garmin no
longer is making those models.
I'd been attracted to its size, versatility, functionality, relatively  low
cost,
and its seemingly wide spread use and satisfaction by Europa  buddies.

So in today's market, I'm wondering if anyone would venture an opinion  on
currently
manufactured GPS units as to whether or not they offer  significant additional
functionality...(?).

My anticipated set up should serve for day/night VFR flight only, and  will be
based around a Dynon Skyview EFIS (7" screen) w/ 2.25" dia.  back up ALT&  ASI
gauges. Panel will have a separate EMS from RWS  which integrates with the RWS
ECU which manages my MPEFI'ed  aftermarket Sube-based powerplant.

Skyview allows for split screen PFD/moving map...though Dynon promises  future
software updates for a fully functioning moving map sectional  chart display,
currently the moving map only shows terrain and heading.

Although I like the idea of an always-on, separate screen, my hunch is  that a
stand-alone GPS will just be serving as back up once I have the  Skyview moving
map update. If that's so,  I'm tempted to find a used  396/496.

Comments or advice most welcome,

Fred