Re: Europa-List: Drilling hole in fuel filler tube

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Drilling hole in fuel filler tube
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:50:18

On 10/18/2011 01:07 PM, Tony Renshaw wrote:
> I am about to drill 1 or 2 holes in the neck of the fuel filler tube, for anti
syphon and vent. If I had a T piece ai suppose I could just drill 1 hole, but
I have seen others with 2, so feel I am safe to follow. I have plastic drill
bits including 3/8", and am wondering about advice in affixing the black
grommets
rubber plug variety as sold by Spruce, with the bsyonet metal fitting,
> . Anyone done this before who can share any advice???

Use 2 holes, you need the top of the fuel filler tube as a "plenum". The
fuel vent from the tank not only releases air during filling, but also a
good deal of fuel. You will want the fuel to return to the tank, and the
air to escape.

Also, my mistake was to project the opening of the tube somewhat in the
direction of the fuel cap. So during filling when the tank is almost
full, the tube starts spitting out splashes of fuel which is quite a
nuisance.

For securing the metal tubes I used some Araldite. It is fuel resistant
and appears to hold very well on the fuel filler neck.

Frans