Re: Europa-List: Electric winch or hand crank?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Electric winch or hand crank?
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:38:15
Hans=0Ais right. The sring in the main gear allows the fuselage to bounce a
round on the =0Aroad so it really needs to be tied down at the front. I use
d a long luggage =0Astrap over the fuselage just in front of the windscreen
 which worked well and =0Aprevented the rocking that Hans noted.=0AGraham
=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: Hans J. Danielse
n <hansjd@online.no>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com=0ASent: Wednesday, 31
August, 2011 16:20:37=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Electric winch or hand cr
line.no>=0A=0AMartin:=0A=0AThe few times I've pulled it onto the trailer I
have had good assistance from =0Abystanders. You could make a couple of ram
ps to sturdy the outriggers/wings =0Aduring this prosess. To measure the hi
ght lift the tailwheel onto the rail, =0Awings level, measure the distance
between outrigger wheel and ground, add the =0Asmall hight up to the mainwe
el platform and you have the ramp hight. These ramps =0Aare also  great whe
n removing the first wing as it sturdies the rest of the =0Aassembly withou
t too much rocking sideways. (But you do need help to pull the =0Awings and
 place them on the trailer anyway!)=0A=0ARemember, the main landing gear fr
ame is locked to sturdy the fuselage when the =0Aramp is pulled up and encl
osing the wheel, but for transport I've always used =0Aropes to tie the fus
elage sideways to the trailer structure. Otherwise, the main =0Alanding gea
r frame will be subjected to a lot of strain from sideways rocking of =0Ath
e fuselage.=0A=0AHope this helps.=0A=0AHans=0A=0A=0A=0A.----- Original Mess
age ----- From: "Martin Tuck" <MJKTuck@cs.com>=0ATo: <europa-list@matronics
.com>=0ASent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:53 AM=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List
: Electric winch or hand crank?=0A=0A=0A> --> Europa-List message posted by
: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck@cs.com>=0A> =0A> Hi Hans,=0A> =0A> I couple of other
 e-mails also indicate that it is safe to pull on the =0A>tail-wheel axle s
o I think that is how I will go. You mentioned you have a hand =0A>crank -
which has you at the 'working end'. How do you stabilize the wings if =0A>n
o-one is there to help?=0A> =0A> Martin=0A> =0A> On 8/30/2011 2:38 PM, Hans
lsen" <hansjd@online.no>=0A>> =0A>> Hi Martin.=0A>> =0A>> A little late, bu
t here goes: I use a hand crank to pull the airplane onto the =0A>>trailer.
 The winch was pulled from an obsolete boat trailer and mounted just in =0A
>>front of the tailwheel rail - close to the attach-handle. Made a short pi
ece of =0A>>wire with an eye at both ends to fit around the protruding ends
 of the tailwheel =0A>>axle. I hook the winch wire on to this small loop an
d simply crank the airplane =0A>>home. Works a treat.=0A>> =0A>> Cheers=0A>
> Hans=0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>> ---- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Tuc
k" <MJKTuck@cs.com>=0A>> To: "Europa Builders Forum" <europa-list@matronics
.com>=0A>> Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:10 AM=0A>> Subject: Europa-Lis
t: Electric winch or hand crank?=0A>> =0A>> =0A>>> --> Europa-List message
posted by: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck@cs.com>=0A>>> =0A>>> Hi Folks,=0A>>> =0A>>>
 I think I asked this question before but I couldn't have kept the response
s.=0A>>> =0A>>> Someone recommended a electric powered winch to pull my mon
owheel onto its =0A>>>trailer. I've read some reviews on Amazon but there a
re diametrically opposed =0A>>>views on how good a job they do. The main co
mplaint being how slow they are or =0A>>>not very well built.=0A>>> =0A>>>
Ideally I would want one with a remote but I can't seem to find one with a
=0A>>>wireless remote, some have a wired remote but the cable seems too sho
rt as I =0A>>>want to hold onto the wingtip to keep it level while the winc
h does it's thing.=0A>>> =0A>>> Alternatively I could keep it simple and us
e a hand crank - but the wings will =0A>>>need to be kept level. I have mad
e some attachments which help some but once the =0A>>>tipping momentum gets
 going on side or the other my hinged spring legs give way. =0A>>>You guys
that use a trailer all time must be using something. It takes me a good =0A
>>>30 mins to get everything up on the trailer and seemingly a lot of physi
cal =0A>>>strength - not good when temps are in the 80s and 90s.=0A>>> =0A>
>> Also, when cranking what is the best thing to attach the cable to? Cable
 round =0A>>>the axle on the side opposite to the brake came to mind. Not s
ure I would want =0A>>>to pull on the tailwheel although that seems an obvi
ous choice.=0A>>> =0A>>> Any thoughts would be appreciated.=0A>>> =0A>>> No
t much flying this summer - we have had 45 days of 100+ F temps in Wichita
so =0A>>>far this year. The record is 50 days. Today was 106 deg F. Phew!
=0A>>> =0A>>> Regards,=0A>>> Martin Tuck=0A>>> N152MT=0A>>> Wichita, Kansas
=0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A> =0A>