Europa-List: Re: Landing gear Failure, ATTN Graham Sing...

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Landing gear Failure, ATTN Graham Sing...
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 11:15:29

Hi Graham

"If there is too much O/C, when the gear hangs down it pulls it off the O/C and
momentum of the links can take it under centre."

Sorry, I don't quite know what you are trying to say.

Would you mind too much to explain a little more?

If lets say we had 1/2" over center. If the gear lever held LG08 against the
stop
on the undercarriage mounting frame, unless there was some play, the LG08 should
stay against the stop, no?

1/2" over center would fail the stops in a hard landing because of the
tremendous
leverage by being too much over center. Is this perhaps what you are talking
about, too much over center will fail the undercarriage mounting frame and cause
a collapse? The early Classic undercarriage mounting frames needed to be
strengthened to prevent just this scenario with proper amount of over center.

I could see if there was play in the system that gravity could pull the gear
down
and get it on center or even under, but if there is no play and the down detente
is solidly pushing LG08 against stop i am at a loss to visualize how too
much would equate to under-center and cause a collapse?

I scuff sanded LG08 and my gear lever and reamed the holes and bonded with Redux
in an attempt to keep play to a minimum, in addition to installing the stiffener
angle (think Mod 51? could be wrong on the number)

Read this topic online here: