Re: Europa-List: Re: CS Prop Controller - manifold pressure.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: CS Prop Controller - manifold pressure.
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 19:28:52

On 06/01/2011 08:42 AM, Fred Klein wrote:
> This thread prompts me to give further thought about propeller
> selection...I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to lay out their
> rationale for using the Smart Avionics (generic) unit w/ the Woodcomp
> SR3000/W rather than the controller sold by Woodcomp?

Woodcomp is a great propeller maker but their electronics is considered
to be less sophisticated. The Smart Avionics controller is developed by
a fellow Europa builder, has many features and configuration items, and
just makes better use of the Woodcomp propeller.
I have to admit though that I even didn't try the box that came with the
Woodcomp propeller. It is just the experience of others and going
through the list of options of the Smart controller that made me decide
to buy the Smart Avionics box..

Now we are at it, one other marvel made by Smart Avionics is their
talking airspeed indicator. Beside doing what the name suggests
(speaking out things like "130 knots", etc.), it is a good assistant
while landing. When I have established the landing speed, I click on a
button on my stick to capture that airspeed, and then the box keeps
telling me "Speed good, speed good, and if I wander off 5% in either
direction it tells me "Speed low" or "Speed high", etc. I can keep
looking outside and don't have to watch the ASI anymore.
And I have given it a dedicated pitot tube so in effect I have a totally
independent backup airspeed indicator without consuming panel space. Of
course I can control it with the very same button to shut up or tell me
what is going on. Usually I have it only on during take off to monitor
my rotating speed, and during landing it switches on by itself when it
detects my landing speed.
No I don't have shares. ;-) But if you ask me what my two most enjoyable
pieces of avionics are they happen to have been developed by the same
fellow Europa builder.

Frans