RE: Europa-List: Aileron play

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Aileron play
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 14:44:37

Hi!Frans.
I get this problem. The very thin tufnol packing on the quick connect
surfaces unfortunately won't take a double layer. I stripped off the
original material mixed up some very thick redux and left both mating
surfaces quite "proud" of finished thickness(using new tufnol) then fitted
and pinned the wings into place allowing the   redux to cure, ten parted it
all to give perfectly flush mating surfaces and tidied up the finished
product. You may still have a slight unwanted gap but I use a layer of self
stick tape which will need replacing every 6 months.
You must however wrap some "cling film" round each mating surface before
pushing the wings in place to ensure any excess redux which squeezes out
doesn't lock both surfaces together preventing the wings being parted. Once
cured and parted it is possible to clean and trim it all up.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG