RE: Europa-List: Door shootbolt rod material

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Door shootbolt rod material
From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperionef.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 08:04:21
Oh goodie, I get to play metallurgist (again).

First, as noted in the exchange, strength is not the issue.  A wooden
dowel (not recommended!!) would probably be adequate for this job.  Any
aluminum alloy will work just fine so select whatever is at hand or
readily available, and in this case either 6061 or 6063 would be a good
choice.  2024 is a higher strength alloy and would also be fine if it is
conveniently available but otherwise not worth the slight extra cost.
The real advantage to Paul=99s approach is the ease with which the
=9Cfork=9D can be fabricated (does the manual still call for
using a hack saw to cut the slot?) not the alloy used.

Second, keep in mind that within the usual range of alloying elements
any metal=99s modulus of elasticity (how much it deflects for a
given applied force, in other words its =9Cstiffness=9D) is
constant, while the tensile strength can vary dramatically for different
alloys.  Because of its length, the aft shoot-bolt must be sufficiently
stiff or it could deflect and bind in the bushing, and apparently there
are no examples of this being a problem  =93 changing the aluminum
alloy would have no effect.

Best regards,

Rob Housman

Irvine, California