RE: Europa-List: ELTs, tailwheel bearings, carb problems

Subject: RE: Europa-List: ELTs, tailwheel bearings, carb problems
From: keith hickling <keithhickling@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:45:24
Hi Richard,
I have an Artex ME406 fitted behing the baggage bay, with the antenna
inside the fuselage. I have copper strips curving up the side of the
fuselage and longditudinally in a square for a groundplane. We have had
a number of problems with this ELT in New Zealand:

1) The self-test routine seems to have been made over-sensitive to
various problems, and many people have had a "failed" self test saying
there is a problem with the antenna or groundplane. Artex finally
admitted there was a problem and suggested using a longer length of coax
to increase the impedance. Our local avionics man after extensive
testing of my unit thinks there might also be a problem with radiation
---From the antenna supressing the unit from transmission if the antenna is
mounted close to the ELT. Apparently the units supplied for helicopters
have metal screening of the unit to prevent this. On metal aircraft with
the antenna outside the fuselage this is not a problem.  It took us many
months to get my unit to pass the self-test.

2) There is a problem with the g switches becoming corroded, and several
have failed to activate in a crash. We currently have an AD requiring
regular checks of the gswitch. Artex are working on this problem.

3) Several helicopters with this unit fitted have had the antenna break
off in a crash so the unit has been inoperative. This shouldn't be a
problem with the antenna mounted inside the fuselage.

In summary, this unit has not been trouble-free in New Zealand, though
Artex are working on the problems. Might be worth asking them about
progress if you are going to use this unit.

Regards,
Keith.

Keith Hickling,
New Zealand.