Re: Europa-List: ANECDOTESweDONTneed1

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ANECDOTESweDONTneed1
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:50:45
Ferg,
As my son would say ...."you my brother from another mother", or, like in Pa
pua New Guinea where I cut my teeth flying, you'd be called a " one-talk". W
ith 700 dialects, anyone who spoke the same language was considered a friend
,.
You and I sing from the same page, bro.

On 22/08/2010, at 2:51 AM, "Fergus Kyle" <VE3LVO@rac.ca> wrote:

> ANECDOTES WE DON'T NEED, 1
>

>         This began in the early years, when dedication to truth, completen
ess and accuracy were paramount and following the instructions was a way of l
ife - not that it isn't now; there was just more oaths offered up.

>         We come to the challenging section on the doors, the internal mech
anism and the finished product. It took a few days for the overall concept t
o trickle into the consciousness so that the final assembly would meld into t
he door as an integral part. It became obvious fairly quickly that the door l
ock crank required special attention in that it incorporated a double bend t
o pass through a make-up panel. This latter was the result of hacking a grea
t hole in the door surround in order to install the various ingenious device
s which ensured accurate locking of the door.

>         That's where the carefully sworn oaths began to come apart. Bend t
he lever too much in one direction and it wouldn't provide for a travel slot
 in the panel; too much in the other direction would embroil the intricate m
echanism in a jambing exercise farther along the bottom. I spent many a late
 night ensuring that both ends of the lever came out parallel to each other -
 and the bending thereof was a ballet of millimetres and partial degrees.

>         When it came to a later phase of actually choosing and inserting t
he lever knob, I cheerfully chose from a local of a nationwide high-end hard
ware catalogue in my chosen theme of 'homey' atmosphere - render the otherwi
se frightening aspect of the first flight unto a small taste of an up-to-dat
e kitchen for easing of tension. I chose blue flowers on a white ceramic kno
b. It had to be big enough for easy activation yet small enough to avoid ina
dvertent selection in flight.

>         That's when I noted the knob goes on the outside of the lever, nex
t to the window pane. Visions of diamond wedding rings scribing my precious w
indow in their anxiety to acquire familiarity with the machinery absorbed my
 attention - the result was a small amendment to attach the knob in the insi
de of the lever, guessing the process to be safe as the site was essentially
 out of passenger activity areas enroute.

>         My error was confirmed when the modification came through to fashi
on a cover plate which ensured full extension of the locked lever in flight.
 Suddenly there was a knob in the way - mine. I cursed my exceptional ingenu
ity - the genius un-demanded.

>         Fortunately, the same creativity gave rise to the solution. I woul
d simply produce a cover plate incorporating the width of the knob thus ensu
ring the lever itself was hidden behind the plate. Of course having bent the
 lever into a zigzag as previously described thus ensured it was now too pro
ud of the intended plate. Another dilemma.

>         Ah, the solution meant simply compressing the zigzag out of the le
ver length, employing some form of power press to straighten it - in situ. N
ot so easy...  That meant finding 1./4 inch alu plate for one side of this p
ress, and narrow steel plate for the other side (the space for a threaded cl
amp underneath being crucial).

>         Eventually success came into sight as I slowly compressed the zig a
nd the zag into a fairly flat lever - thus skinning off lots of the impeccab
le finished paint and the wrenching responsibility of the adjacent window ev
er vital. The cover plates as promulgated evolved, and in perhaps no more th
an two days I had undone several weeks brilliant work. Don't tell anybody. O
nly now have I realised the wedding ring is on the LEFT hand.

=========
=========
=========
=========