Re: Europa-List: Airmaster Prop.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Airmaster Prop.
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:17:57
Bud is up to his neck in a poop full of testing.
Right now I have the AP332 and 420 in build up in the shop and will be
starting side by side testing.  LSA testing is in write up.  I figure by
Rough River I may have some data and the new 420 hanging on the front of
my test mule 12AY.  So far on the slower planes like the Rans S-6, the
420 is ten knots faster at the 72 inch length and the performance of the
AP420 is better only on the top end vs. the AP332.   It appears the
AP420 will tend to have a top end more like the Whirlwind prop or a
little faster.  However, the prop pulses across the windscreen on the
Rans are very noisy at the 72 inch lengths.  You can see the windscreen
move.  It is quite a stump climber. Hopefully, it is not as noisy with
our shorter 64 inch prop.
The AP420 Prop weighs about 20 lbs.  Sensenich is a light prop blade by
some standards, but others are still lighter such as the Kiev, Neuform
and other recent designs from the old Soviet Block.  They are much
lighter and flexible blades, which means a potential for harmonic
problems.  Martin has accumulated quite a stack of test blades and is
methodically going through them.
It is a work in progress as we are adding the AP430 which is a 3 blade,
large ferrule bore hole for the newer hollow core blades.

Warp Drive was not interested in a wider chord blade or a more refined
blade for the shorter lengths.  The problem is the initial inertia on
start up with the solid blades.  A Wider blade for them means more
torque on the sprag clutch and possibly very expensive engine repairs.
A hollow blade is the way to go, but the Warp Drive is still the
toughest prop.  Airplanes are 20,000 compromises flying in close
formation and we really try not to disappoint customers so the testing
continues...

More to follow.

Bud