Re: Europa-List: Exhaust port bolts for 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust port bolts for 914
From: Michael Grass <m.grass@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 05:41:49

Gilles,

Have a look at the DIN standards DIN960 and DIN961. (OK, there are likely
replaced by ISO or IEC Standards but I have no reference numbers for them in
the moment)

You are correct that a regular M8 would have a pitch of 1.25mm. However, you
can get them also with a pitch of 1mm. I highlighted it by using the common
phrase "fine threaded ".  Fine threaded metric bolts are available from M8
upwards.

This "fine threaded "  Metric bolts are not very common and this is why Paul
has such a hard time finding them. I do not have access to the DIN960/961
and have my (German) mechanical reference book at work but I believe an M8
bolt with only 6mm length regardless of the pitch is none standard because
in my opinion it makes mechanically little sense to have a bolt shorter in
length then its diameter because the standard purpose of a bolt is being a
fastener and not a plug for a hole. Also I have not found "fine threaded "
M8 bolts in Stainless Steel.