Re: Europa-List: SL30 Installation help

Subject: Re: Europa-List: SL30 Installation help
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 14:09:16

On 08/02/2010 12:20 PM, Paul McAllister wrote:

> I had my antenna mounted on the floor but I ended up relocating it to the
> roof.  While I found that the VOR and Localizer worked fine I seemed to have
> trouble getting the Glideslope to work until I was with in a few NM of the
> outer marker.  It seems to work better on the roof for me.

Keep in mind that the glidescope information is transmitted on a
frequency that is very different than the VOR/LOC frequencies. It is
recommended to use a splitter and a separate antenna for reception of
the glidescope info. You might get away with just a VOR/LOC antenna, but
this depends on the properties of the antenna. The antenna is deeply out
of tune on the glidescope frequency, and in general, antenna's that have
been reduced in size, have more problems with this and some are even
effectively shorting out the glidescope frequencies.
My dipole setup probably works better for this than any commercially
available antenna.

Frans