Europa-List: Re: iPad aviation apps

Subject: Europa-List: Re: iPad aviation apps
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 05:46:10

Fred,

We started using an iPad in our Europa in June.  So far we're really happy with
it.  No problems with glare or not being bright enough.  The built in GPS works
fine (get the 3G with GPS version) so we have charts (sectionals & Low alt
enroute) showing our position while flying and not connected to 3G or WiFi.
Position
does not show on approach plates but that is supposed to happen this Fall.

We're using SkyCharts Pro (www.skycharts.net) ($20/year).  Gives you
Sectionals, Low Alt Enroutes and Approach Plates.  Also the FAA Airport
Directory.   Each chart includes the airport information for all airports on
that chart.  You cache to the iPad the charts of interest. Then they are
available for use without connection to 3G or WiFi.  Caching takes time and
memory, so you only cache those that you need and you start it last thing at
night so its done in the morning!!  If you're connected to the internet,
SkyCharts will display METARS and TAFs.  And of course any chart.

Other iPad applications are

www.foreflight.com - probably the most popular app and includes flight planning
features.  Costs $75 or $95 / year.

www.navimatics.com  Don't know anything about this one except what's on the
website.

www.flightguide.com  Just released iPad version.  Their airport info is pretty
nice - it's the same outfit that publishes the Brown Books, but it's kinda of
expensive, $10 / month or more.

We had one instance of it overheating and shutting down.  Just don't leave it in
the direct sun.  We tend to keep it sorta vertical, leaning up against one's
stomach.  Then you tip it back to look at it.

We had a Microfiber cloth that we made into a case for the iPad.  Protects the
screen and wipes off fingerprints.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask more questions.  Also long threads about
iPad on AOPA forums website and Van's Airforce   www.vansairforce.net

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here: