Europa-List: Re: Rotax 914 Intercooler

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Rotax 914 Intercooler
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 15:12:20

Hi Frans.
I did speak to John Hurst and he said he measured airbox temp and especial at
altitude
it dropped with intercooler. He mentioned it dosen't work so well you
really need to worry about carb ice, but would allow one to fly to 18K without
intervention of TCU. I am only repeating what he said, I have yet to measure.
For what it's worth, my 1983 Volvo GLT-50 (245) turbo station wagon, with 2.3
liter 4 cylinder, pretty much same as 914 Garette air cooled turbo as 914, and
~ 185hp said intercooler lowered air temperature going into manifold from 145F
above ambient to only 45F above ambient. I think boosts were similar to 914??
Size of radiator was about size of coolant radiator.
Intercooler installed as per factory instructions from John do in fact lead to
further constipation of cowl air compared to not having it installed. A mono
with
gear down and factory located stainless firewall has far worst exit air ability
than a Tri with firewall moved way back. None the less still not stellar
on the ground and in climb.

Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: