Re: Europa-List: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 23:22:56
Jos=0AI tend to agree with you. In most of the envelope the tailplane has t
o provide lift, usually down force. In fact the pivot on the Europa is not
quite at the aerodynamic centre. I don't remember the reasons but are conce
rned with short period oscillation. (not flutter)=0AThere will have to be a
 slight tab deflection to apply the load required by the pilot, ie speed co
ntrol. In particular flaps down the a/c of the wing moves significantly so
a big trim force is required.=0ASo, I personally haven't the mental energy
to work out why the tab may not be in line, I just accept what the stick lo
ad tells me. Just try taking off with trim set wrong, my goodness do you ne
ed to push on the stick!=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A___________________________
_____=0AFrom: josok-e <josok-e@ukolo.fi>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com=0A
Sent: Monday, 24 May, 2010 22:42:31=0ASubject: Europa-List: Re: Effects of
osok-e" <josok-e@ukolo.fi>=0A=0A@Jon:=0AOf course the Europa tailplanes are
 fully balanced aerodynamically, so are conventional tailplanes. I can't th
ink of tailplanes with an aerodynamical design providing lift. This aerodyn
amical balance has nothing to do with the discussion here. The anti-TRIM-ta
bs on the Europa will deflect the whole tailplane, if not neutral, the trim
tabs on a conventional elevator will deflect the elevator if not neutral. W
hy this varying deflection is needed has been mentioned in this thread befo
re and i will not start repeating facts. If you really think the Europa doe
s not need trim, well, fix the tabs :-) And eat a few burgers extra, becaus
e it will be a muscle exercise.  And, oh, the ANTI part of the equasion is
to add resistance to the feel an the stick, to prevent pilots from breaking
 things. How that works has also been excellently explained previously. =0A
=0AI am very sorry to read that you disagree of most of my simple message,
and in a very long message fail to tell me why.=0A=0ARegards,=0A=0AJos Okhu
ijsen.=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic online here:=0A=0Ahttp://forums.matron