Re: Europa-List: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 07:03:38
Thanks Frans!

*Very* interesting.

just a note - my original statement below is wrong - as an upward trim tab
results in a downward force on the tail, not lift as I had originally
(incorrectly) thought.

questions:

- were you in stead-state constant-altitude cruise?
- where was your trim set at?
- was your stick force = 0?
- what was your cruise speed?
- what was your weight and balance (with fuel at that point in time)?

As the tailplane is a symmetrical airfoil,  my confused mind asserts that in
cruise (since the horizontal stab by definition must be providing a downward
force) your tailplane must have been at a negative angle of attack, and
since the combination anti-servo/trim tab was in a neutral position then I
would have expected a steady stick force would have needed to be applied....
or a far aft CG condition would have been needed?

Many thanks!
Pete
A239