Re: Europa-List: Re: Ditching checklist

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Ditching checklist
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 15:41:08
The mono is much less likely to dig in, think of the pitching moment that t
he gear exerts as it hits the water. =0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A______________
__________________=0AFrom: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>=0ATo: eur
opa-list@matronics.com=0ASent: Tuesday, 4 May, 2010 15:26:36=0ASubject: Re:
 Europa-List: Re: Ditching checklist=0A=0A--> Europa-List message posted by
: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>=0A=0AOn 05/04/2010 03:13 PM, rampi
l wrote:=0A=0A> For the case of the trigear, one can only imagine a worse c
ase.=0A> It seems unlikely that a trigear can be prevented from digging=0A>
 in at the nose and possibly cracking the canopy.=0A=0AWhy does it seem tha
t? Statistics show that tri gear aircraft have no=0Ahigher tendency to nose
 over than rectractables. Unless the Europa has a=0Afeature not found on ot
her tri gear airplane, I don't think it is worse=0Athan comparable aircraft
.=0A=0AContrary, I think the monowheel is worse in this aspect. It has a=0A
tendency on land already to nose over if you brake firmly, and I don't=0Ase
e why this would be different on water.=0A=0AWith the tri gear, before the
nose is able to touch the water, the gear=0Ahas dissipated already quite so
me of the energy (either due to drag in=0Athe water, or due to destruction