Re: Europa-List: PH-DIY first flight!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: PH-DIY first flight!
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:39:10

On 04/21/2010 09:26 PM, Fred Klein wrote:
> Frans...delighted to hear your initial performance results...trust you
> agree that the fairings haven't slowed your plane down,

Sure they are a contributing factor!
Too bad that I just can't take them off to see how much they contribute.

Personally I think that the prop is also a large factor. I just read in
the Europa magazine that David Joyce has written an article about props
with a large twist which will be published in the next issue of the
Europa magazine. (In fact, it was David Joyce who has guided me to the
large twist propellers). This in combination with the somewhat larger
than usual diameter and (not everyone agrees with this) the fact that it
has two blades must make it a real performer.

Well, the prop can be swapped for another one, if we really want to make
a comparison and see how much this prop contributes to performance. If
someone can lend me a 3-blade Woodcomp prop I will happily record some
performance data.

> though I suspect
> your improvements in cooling drag reduction were a contributing factor.

At least this removed something from the frontal area, but then again, I
have a hi-top, so this should increase drag somewhat.

Frans