Re: Europa-List: Re: 2-blade props

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: 2-blade props
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:11:46

On 04/16/2010 01:41 PM, Gilles Thesee wrote:

> Apart from what Karl said, the number of blades has something to do with
> the prop *solidity* necessary to transfer power. The aircraft you cite
> have powerful engines, hence the tendancy to increase the number of blades.

Right. If you increase the amount of power, at some point you have to
increase the diameter of the prop. If you can't do this (for clearance
reasons), you will have to revert to adding some more blades. More
blades is a compromise.

> Our airplane and two-blade prop were designed just a few years ago, and
> they are quite efficient aerdynamically.

I can't think of ANY reason why more blades would be more efficient. I
can however think of reasons why less blades is more efficient.

Frans