Re: Europa-List: Weight reduction - Brake Discs

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Weight reduction - Brake Discs
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 00:14:32

On 04/15/2010 10:09 PM, jglazener wrote:
> we were looking for grams on a helicopter that weighed many tons.
> I am constantly on the lookout, even for little things like shaving
> off bolts that are too long. Is there anyone who has compiled a list
> of clever things that you can do on a Europa in this regard?

The biggest weight savings can be found by trimming the pilot.
1) Make sure to go to the toilet before commencing flight.
2) Get a haircut. Shave yourself. We're talking about grams, remember?
3) Dress light. Just swimming trousers can be sufficient during the
summer. No boots but open shoes, or maybe no shoes at all.
4) Swap your headset for a clarity aloft or alike light weight headset.
5) Don't eat or drink before you fly.
6) And the most important one: Get on a diet. For the avarage pilot it
is easily possible to shed 10 Kg's of weight, without adverse effects on
health (often quite the opposite).
10 Kg's!!! How much effort do you have to do to save this by shaving off
bolts and dremeling off spoilt epoxy?

On a more serious note: Fly the airplane more efficiently. Often a few
knots less speed will get you at your destination with 10Kgs less fuel
needed. ;-)

Get a two blade prop. One blade of a CS prop is 4Kg's worth. Apart from
that, it cruises more efficiently, cutting down on fuel (read: weight).

Get a second alternator. Now you can save on your batteries, because you
only need them for starting, not for redundancy during flight. My Rotax
914 starts easily multiple times on a small Odyssey 310.

Frans