RE: Europa-List: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
From: glenn crowder <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:45:39

  Hi Pete - yes=2C it is totally valid to think of it that way.   With the
trim tab set to neutral=2C the tailplane is designed to maintain a negative
 angle of attack sufficient to balance the negative pitching moment of the
wing at typical "in the pattern speeds".  This angle corresponds to the mat
ching fillets molded into the fuselage sides at the tail.

  At low to moderate airspeeds=2C the tailplane needs a sizeable negative a
ngle of attack to create enough downforce at the tail to force the leading
edge of the wing up to it's required angle of attack.  Without the tail pus
hing down thus raising the wing leading edge up=2C the wing becomes lazy an
d does'nt want to fly=2C trying to reduce the angle of attack.  This is tha
t negative pitching moment that all non symmetrical airfoils have. This is
easily noticed in a stall situation=2C with nearly all the UP elevator bein
g required to hold the high angle of attack.

  Now when we want to go fast=2C requirements start to change.  We want the
 wing to assume a very low angle of attack because as the speeds go up=2C t
he lift

on the wing goes up by the SQUARE of airspeed.  Reducing the angle of attac

reduces the lift of the wing and also the induced drag.  But since we are g
oing

much faster=2C the wing is creating the same amount of lift sufficient to m
aintain a

steady cruising altitude.  But at this higher airspeed the tailplane is sti
ll trying to maintain the high negative angle of attack it was designed to
maintain at low to moderate airspeeds.  So now we have to do something to r
educe the extremely high downforce the tail is trying to generate.  This is
 achieved by reducing the negative angle of attack of the tailplane.   We n
eeded a large negative angle for takeoff and pattern work but now we need a
 much smaller negative angle.

  To reduce this negative angle of attack we then apply DOWN trim which rai
ses the trimtab UP=2C which then forces the trailing edge of the tailplane
DOWN=2C which then reduces the negative angle of attack to a much smaller v
alue=2C reducing the downforce generated by the tailplane.  It is still pro
ducing a large amount of downforce though as the high airspeed is creating
a lot of force with only a small negative angle of attack (the airspeed squ
ared thing).

  The aircraft COULD have been designed to maintain this high speed slightl
y negative angle of attack with neutral trim tab to minimize drag.  However
 if this had been done the design would have required HUGE trimtabs trimmed
 DOWN at lower speeds to then force the trailing edge of the tailplane UP t
hat would then create a large negative angle of attack on the tailplane req
uired to balance the wing at lower airspeeds.