RE: Europa-List: Re: Electronic Mind Needed / It's Back!

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Electronic Mind Needed / It's Back!
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:17:31
Jeff,

An output of 12.5V from the regulator will certainly keep the battery in a
low state of charge(84% or below). This (sort of) falls in line with what
you are seeing with the battery state of charge per the charger, if  the
engine rpm was not high enough to sustain the 12.5V from the (possibly
failed) regulator at all times (though I might expect the battery voltage to
track 12.5 a little better  - 35% seems a little low).  I assume that the
12.5V that you measured from the regulator was at a higher engine speed, and
not idle.

At this point, since your concern is a bad battery, I would check the
battery out of circuit (since it is easily done), by dis-connecting it from
the airplane, and charging it with an external charger (I think you are
doing that?). Charge it until the charger says that the battery has a full
charge, then disconnect the battery completely from the charger. At this
point, nothing is connected to the battery. Let the it sit for a day to
allow its voltage to drop (and stabilize), then measure the voltage on the
terminals to check that the state of charge is around 12.7V. If that is the
case, then the battery is maintaining a full state of charge. If you have
not had any starting problems with the aircraft (ie. plenty of juice to
crank the starter, in this higher state of charge), then I would say the
battery is good (rare cracked-post or related problems aside).

If the battery appears good, then all attention could now focus on the
regulator. If I were a betting man I would hedge my bets there.

Sorry to hear about Sun and Fun. That would be the hard part of it all.

Hope this helps,

Greg

off to do some errands...

We'll my problem I thought I fixed is still there. After repairing the
connector and getting what I thought was good charging voltage to the
battery and flying for a few hours I just took the cowl off only to double
check my battery. Placed it on the charger and it's down to 35%. I started
the plane and checked the voltage output from the regulator and it's putting
out 12.5. I'm starting to wonder if either the regulator is working
intermittently or if it could my 2 year old odyssey battery? Looks like
Sun-N-Fun will have to wait. I have bypassed my panel with a voltage check
by going to the 30 amp fuse with a wire back to the battery and the voltage
during running is the same 12.5. If anyone has other Ideas or possibilities
let me know but I'm about to order a new battery. I guess if thats not it
I'll have a spare.

Jeff R.  N128LJ Gold Rush