Europa-List: Chemical Nut-Busters

Subject: Europa-List: Chemical Nut-Busters
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:43:53
Have you heard of this one?:
        My first jalopy was a =9137Chev deluxe (With rear seat ash trays) and
I kept snapping the right rear drive axle which was perhaps =BE=94
steel. I
could never get the nuts off because it was a great winter rust area.
        I finally took it to the neighbourhood mechanic who wrenched it into
the sky and went to the First Aid kitbox on the wall. He extracted the
Iodine bottle and shot some liquid iodine into the joints and walked
away.
he came back in 20 minutes and whacked the nut with the usual ball-pein
hammer, and quietly unscrewed the nut(s).
        I=92ve tried it on rust which hid the joint, and it worked 70-80%.
Anybody else heard this one? Something to do with iodine crystals.
Ferg