RE: Europa-List: Re: Electronic Mind Needed

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Electronic Mind Needed
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 02:22:52

 Ok, I assumed it was similar to most motorcycle regulators. Hence the
problems of disconnecting the battery and all loads while the regulator is
operating does not exist. Otherwise, I do not have experience with the Rotax
regulator. The method below makes sense to me.

-Greg

--> <frans@privatepilots.nl>

On 04/09/2010 12:12 AM, Greg Fuchs wrote:

> These are good points from Frans. Just an additional comment. IF this
> is a shunt regulator (I think it is),

It is not. It uses phase cutting (or just call it PWM). Hence the absolute
need for a large capacitor at the output.

Agree with your points about the battery.
That's why I recommended to test the voltage without the battery connected.
If it reads a correct voltage, we can assume the alternator is good, we can
fairly assume that the regulator works (although it may fail under load, but
is less likely). If the voltage does not read correct, we can pinpoint our
trouble shooting to the alternator and regulator and don't have to worry
about faulty wiring or batteries.
Regardless of the outcome, we can narrow down our search significantly.

Frans

_