Re: Europa-List: Re: Oil Pressure Switch for engine hourmeter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Oil Pressure Switch for engine hourmeter
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 21:31:44

How about connecting it to the radio power line?

So that is then a radio hobbs in fact.
We normally always start the engine first and then a while after switch radios
on.
Radios off and then engine quit vice versa.
That is a rule for radio safe.
During engine tests and trial runs we do not wanna maybe count engine hours at
all.
When there is an intention to fly, radios are always on I assume.
Bad side: during radio tests only you count also engine hours.
But, how often you do make radio tests only (w/o engine running)?

In my case in the hobbsmeter there are 202,9 hours logged and in the logbook
there
are 154,1 pure flight hrs.
The difference between those numbers are mostly because taxiing and those
exciting
early taxi tests (and radio on!).

Other possibilities: hobbs is on when gyros and/or FMS are on.

If I had liked to count only pure flight hours I would have connected it to the
main gears retracted position micro switch. In the other hand; at least GPS and
autopilot (Trio) are logging pure flight hours so that was not an option for
me.

That is real flying when the gear(s) is(are) up, is not it? Unfortunately only
possible for monos...;)

To service my engine I use flight hours (with high revs) - not engine hours.
That
is a fair play!

Raimo from Finland

OH-XRT grounded for an annual service and some extra which will make it even
heavier
again.