Re: Europa-List: What's best way to check grap parts for voids?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: What's best way to check grap parts for voids?
From: kaarsberg@terra.com.br
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:08:53

 Hi Ron,
 Providing you have a reasonably quiet workplace (and a reasonably
good hearing too), tapping the area in question with a coin. you
should quickly hear the difference in sound...it=C2=B4s like ultrasound
inspection without the ultra:-)
 In spite of having been inactive on the building front for far too
long, I want to thank you for your ceaseless publishing of
 your trials and errors!
 Alex, kit 529
 On Qui 14/01/10 06:12 , "rparigoris" rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
sent:
 I just finished doing battle with my instrument module taking out
about 1/2" warp of the 3/4" warp that tapered from middle to the
right side (right side being the worst).
 I was careful heating till it became slightly soft then clamped
module flat. After leaving over night clamped flat I floxed on
plywood and 2 BID over plywood then clamped that flat overnight. Nice
fit to firewall now and flat/ stiff.
 However a whole bunch of blisters occurred on the gray gel-coat
ranging from 1/8" to 1/16" in diameter after I heated it. Upon
cutting out blisters observation is everyone of the blisters has a
void under it exposing shiny polyester resin, some of the voids quite
deep and the gelcoat quite thin. I am afraid especial on cowl (perhaps
doors too) after final paint once heated, blistering may occur.
 Any ideas best way to identify any voids on gray gelcoated parts?
 I picked up my kit 04-2003 Kit # A265.
 Thx.
 Ron Parigoris
 Read this topic online here: