Re: Europa-List: Re: Foreign owner of British registered Europa

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Foreign owner of British registered Europa
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:27:02

On 01/11/2010 01:36 PM, zwakie wrote:

> This automatically leads to other possible interpretation of
> aforesaid "importation": If you mean that Danish Laws do not allow
> you to base and operate a foreign registered homebuilt (e.g. without
> doing a transfer to Danish register), I would recommend you to have
> Danish authorities show you the exact Article of the Law that tells
> you that you can't do that. I would be highly surprised if the Law
> would prevent you from doing so because to me that seems to be
> contradicting with several EC Laws; if this indeed is the case,
> buying a completed foreign homebuilt would not be an option to you.

It could be the case though, as the definition of "homebuilt" aircraft
and associated laws differ from one country to the other.
If it would be possible for UK-builders to register their airplane in
the Netherlands, and still operate it in the UK, this would be an easy
way to get approval for even the wildest mods to the airplanes. ;-) Why
would anyone in their right mind register an airplane in a country with
very limiting restrictions, like the UK, if there is actually no law
telling you to do so?

IS it actually possible to register your airplane anywhere, regardless
of citizenship and intended country of operation, just to circumvent
some local rules?

Now my airplane with quite some mods has gone through the Dutch
registration process, I could transfer it to British registration, so I
don't have to invest in a mode-S transponder and 406 MHz ELT. That would
give the best of both countries. All the mods approved, no useless
avionics. :-D :-D :-D

(Oh, and don't mis-interpret my remark about restrictions regarding
mods. Of course I consider it worthwile to have mods double checked. But
we all know that there are quite some innocent mods, applied by many
others already, where the requirement to get individual approval is
quite a nuisance. At least it seems so.)

Frans