Europa-List: Outrigger lengths

Subject: Europa-List: Outrigger lengths
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:28:36

Jim,

I read you loud and clear...thanks for your insights. With your Pitts
experience, your brain and toes must be dialed in.

Reflecting on your initial post, I was wondering about whether the
stock-length outriggers were sized to help one stay ahead of the
airplane by giving a visual cue prior to an incipient runway
excursion...and perhaps...the longer outriggers might not. For the
novice mono-driver, that visual cue early on might be helpful, but I
get your point about the wobble being misleading (at least some of the
time). In my mind, I like the notion of stability on rollout afforded
by the longer outriggers...but that's no substitute for direct
experience.

I have +600 hrs in taildraggers, but the're all in my Stinson 108 and
J-3s...pretty benign birds.

Fred