Re: Europa-List: Antennas

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Antennas
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 20:17:38

craig bastin wrote:

> For those interested I have constructed and fitted a full wave loop antenna
> as per Dave Morris's
> designs located here.
>
> http://www.davemorris.com/dave/MorrisDFLoop.html
>
> I hooked up my hand held scanner to the loop comm antenna today, and the
> initial results
> are excellent. I appear to be getting better reception on the ground in my
> closed workshop
> than i have had in most of the aircraft i have flown, while airborne.

Basic physics dictate that if you get "gain" somewhere, there must be a
loss elsewhere. If I have a lightbulb, I can certainly increase the
light in certain directions (by using reflectors and/or lenses) but this
always comes at the price of a loss somewhere else (behind the
reflector, or outside the aim of the lenses).

Now, in an aircraft, you probably favour an omnidirectional radiation
pattern (like a naked light bulb). If someone claims a "gain", I would
like to know where the losses are.

So, my question is: "Where are the losses?"
(If someone is brave enough to tell me that there ain't any losses, my
next question will be where the extra energy of the gain is coming from,
and whether it is possible to save the earth with this magical extra
energy that seems to spring into live from nowhere. ;-) )

Frans