Re: Europa-List: Coolant temperature indicator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Coolant temperature indicator
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:32:28

Hi Frans,

I am in the fortunate situation where I had a couple of coolant tanks
that was among a bunch of Rotax parts that I purchased from a guy who
was doing research and development for the military in the '90's.

I haven't actually installed mine yet, but the engine is currently in
at the Rotax dealer to have some oil leaks repaired and I will have it
installed at that time.  I have a Grand Rapids EIS that has inputs for
two CHT's and the water sensor so it is an easy task for me to
instrument it.

Rotax discusses the combination of CHT's and coolant temperature
measurement in a recent SB about reverting back from Evans to a water
glycol mix.  I would suggest that you read  through the SB, I think it
should cover most questions.

In my opinion measuring coolant temperature makes a lot of sense, it
gives an earlier warning of issues in the case of a burst hose or
coolant boiling.  Graham Singleton often tells me that if he had
coolant temperature sensing in his aircraft he would have known about
his pending issue and not taken off and had his subsequent accident.

If your airplane isn't flying yet, then the effort is a lot less, if
it were me I'd probably just go do it.

Regards,  Paul