Europa-List: gaps for flying surfaces

Subject: Europa-List: gaps for flying surfaces
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:05:02

Gentlemen,

If you can take a moment or two...think back...way back...when you
were preparing your bird for priming/painting...think back about the
gaps...for example, the one between the outboard edge of the trim tab
and the edge of the indent for it in the tailplane.

Given that, once the bird is painted, one wants to have some (but
minimal and consistent) clearance between the trim tab and the
taillplane as the trim tab rotates on its hinges...and given that one
certainly wants to avoid sanding on finished painted surfaces or edges
(say in the event that unexpected rubbing results from paint
thickness)...

What thickness does the gap want to be prior to priming/painting? I
don't see a size called out in the manual.

Would a tongue-depresser stick (0.060" thick) be adequate to establish
the gap (prior to priming/painting)?

(I have no real sense of paint thickness...)

...not that I want to get toooooo anal about this...but I'm looking for

comments/advice much appreciated,

Fred

--
believed to be clean.