Europa-List: Seat Belt Restraint Points

Subject: Europa-List: Seat Belt Restraint Points
From: JR Gowing <jrgowing@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:07:38

Fellow Builders

The restraint point in the headrests has been of concern to most of us beca
use they is below shoulder height. There have been proposals made to raise
the headrests and also to hinge additional height from behind to lift the d
irection of the belts. However they all seem to impede access some extent.

Why cannot we have a restraint point in the fuselage shell situated well be
hind, and at a little lower level than the fuel filler=3F  This would  still
not be perfect as the line of restraint would be toward a little inboard of
 directly behind the crew members, but not much.

The pair of restraint points I am proposing can be set as follows:-
Measure inside the fuselage and mark a location 18=22 behind the door frame a
nd 15=22 up from the top edge of the lower fuselage shell at the joint line.
You will find this spot to be about 6=22 above the top of the corresponding h
eadrest and about midway between the door frame and the sloping wall of the
 baggage bay.

There is good space around this to reinforce the shell of the fuselage with
 say 2 plies of bid approx 12=22 square, an aluminium plate,  and perhaps 4 o
r more plies of bid of decreasing sizes after the first (say 2=22 less on eac
h one).

I have noted that quite large plates have been used in the head rests but m
uch smaller ones in the fuselage sides for the lap belts. Perhaps the new o
nes ( 5=22x3=22 as in the headrests or smaller=3F) could be perforated for
better
 adhesion and set in flox.

Now,
 if there is a qualified person willing to confirm the safety of this propo
sed modification, then at least I, and I guess quite a few more builders, w
ill be pleased to transfer their bolts and washers from the headrests!

Comments welcome!
Especially an engineering approval!

J R (Bob) Gowing UK Kit 327 in Oz
24 High St