Re: Europa-List: Filling Tips

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Filling Tips
From: Tony Wickens <tonywickens@btconnect.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:03:42

Hi All
I am filling at the moment, just to make all of you that have been through
it envious! I have tried the fishing line method but found that second and
third applications were necessary to deal with low areas. Of course, hot
wiring rules apply in terms of Burt Rutan's 'talking numbers'. That is the
spline has to be non flexible and the angle has to be kept parallel to the
line of the curvature.
Brian Davies came around and said that he used the lay it on thick and sand
it back once method and I have found that this works better for me. The only
issue with blocking back, apart from avoiding cutting into the fiber glass
is not to put too much heat into the component.
Getting the mixture dry enough (using expancel) I have also found difficult.
I will try the system described in Jim and Heather Butcher's recent e-mail,
particularly working it on a board with a spreader and the smear of resin
should help the interface adhesion. It is worth a try
The trouble is that by the time you are getting proficient the job is
finished. My respect grows for all you Classic builders and I am careful not
to winge on about filling and rubbing down in their company
Thanks for all the useful and interesting inputs
Tony Wickens
XS Kit 353

 Martin Tuck wrote>