Europa-List: Re: Filling - Control surfaces

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Filling - Control surfaces
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 05:19:58

Hi Fred,

Jeff is right, we used expancel just as he said.

One caution is that, if you are seeing gloss in the micro, it may be too wet
(too
much epoxy).

We found a "formula" so all of our batches were consistent (marked a line on the
mixing cup 1 1/3 inches high, then added 5 full mixing cups of expancel).  It
is amazing how much expancel you can work in!

We let the mixed epoxy sit 5 minutes to let air bubbles dissipate before mixing
in expancel.  We gradually add expancel until there is no gloss.  Work it on
a plywood board with a large spreader to mix thoroughly and work out any air.
We often added a bit more expancel at this point to take out the gloss.

We put a very light coat of pure epoxy on the part before spreading the filler
(dipped an old sock or lint free cloth to just get it damp, then rubbed the part
with it).

Hope that helps,

Jim & Heather Butcher
N241BW