Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: fire extinguisher

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: fire extinguisher
From: Mike Parkin <mikenjulie.parkin@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 06:35:12

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Pattinson" <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:41 PM
Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: fire extinguisher

> <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
>
> I may be wrong Danni but I think Halon extinguishers are now no longer
> available in the UK anyway  (aka BCF bromo chloro fluorethane) because
> they are considered harmful to the environment.
>
> Legislation prohibits the sale of halon products from December 31st
> 2002. - NO IM NOT WRONG !!!
> http://www.mfs-fire-extinguishers.co.uk/halon.htm

I am afraid you are Karl.  BCF (aka Bromochlorodiflouromethane (Halon 1211))
is still permitted for use in aircraft and is exempt from the Montreal
Convention for the immediate future.  Using a water/gas extinguisher in the
cockpit would likely be a quick way of creating an electrical fire and a dry
powder one would  be likely to put the cockpit in IMC.  Halon is the only
sensible answer at the moment.

regards,

Mike