RE: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?
From: Brian Davies <bdavies@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 09:48:59

Hi Marcel,

You have touched on a hotly debated subject - Mono versus Trigear.

I originally built a Monowheel Europa with a Rotax 912S and Airmaster
variable pitch prop.  It was a very capable aircraft, enormous fun to fly
and no real problem taking off and landing on grass.  I found it quite
challenging to land in a crosswind on tarmac and eventually decided to
convert the aircraft to Trigear configuration.  It is now a much more
forgiving aircraft to land in crosswinds but it does not enjoy bumpy grass
so much.  If the aircraft has been modified to fit steel nosewheel springs
instead of the original bungee cords it can get quite "bouncy" if not
handled carefully on bumpy surfaces.

As with most aircraft types, once you have developed your technique none of
these things are a real problem.

Most Trigear are about 16Kg heavier than an equivalent Monowheel and tend to
use slightly more fuel.  The difference only really shows up on long
distance touring were the Mono has the edge on performance.  If you intend
to do long distance touring and want to exploit the full capacity of the
aircraft in terms of full fuel, two people and ample baggage, look for a
Europa that is no more than 400Kg empty weight.

>From a pure enjoyment angle I found the Mono  much more challenging and much
more fun.  As a Trigear it gives me a much more relaxed flying experience
and more enjoyable touring.

There are a number of high quality Europas fore sale at the moment so this
is a good time to buy.  I suggest you join the Europa Club and get access to
a great deal of additional help and information.  Go to their website
www.europaclub.org.uk and follow the links to join online.

Best regards

Brian Davies, Membership Sec.
The Europa Club