Re: Europa-List: sight tube

Subject: Re: Europa-List: sight tube
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:21:50

">> Yes, this magnet/reed switch idea does seem very
>> reliable. Too bad its not avail anymore.
>
> Shown on the Europa site as Mod 60."

I am installing the float style 8 position reed switch from Europa.

The way it works is there are magnets in the float and they sweep past the
reed switches and close them. Each station will give a a different
resistance.

I think the 8 stations are probably thought out to give accurate readings
on Europa tank?? The reason I say that is the throw needed is different
near the bottom of the tank and the top.

Pretty neat thing about reed switch and a magnet is there is a certain
natural hysteresis, so if float is bobbing around a bit it will not
constant be moving gauge.

I was not thrilled with the supplied by Europa VDO gauge, so measured the
resistance and had UMA build me a 1+1/4" EL back lit gauge.

If anyone is interested I have notated resistance values for each station.

Ron Parigoris