RE: Europa-List: Trike Main gear sockets

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Trike Main gear sockets
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:55:46

Gary,

I think you are right, but then every Europa is a little different. I follo
wed the manual very carefully, and have not experienced any real problems,
not with tracking anyway. The tire wear is on the outer edge, and when the
profile has worn off I reverse the tires to wear the other side. I may do t
his a couple more times and in theory the tires will actually last longer t
han with symmetric wear.
The  original tires didn't last very long as the rubber was much softer and
 there is no steel re-enforcement. I now have Michelins.

kets> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:03:50 -0400> From: Gary.Leinberger@millersv
ille.edu> To: europa-list@matronics.com> > --> Europa-List message posted b
y: "Gary Leinberger" <Gary.Leinberger@millersville.edu>> > I spent a great
deal of time trying to engineer a vernier type setting> for adjusting the t
oe in - but after discussing it with several people> was told it works out
- normally - my fear is when I do it I may not get> it just right and have
tracking problems - maybe the way to adjust it is> to use creative landings
 - a friend of mine (to be un-named) managed to> bend his - of course this
would only work in one direction - :-) - > > Oin the interest of getting th
is thing done prior to receiving my first> social security check I am going
 to go with the manueal and measure> about fifty times - > > > Gary Leinber
ger > A237 > Slow and Unsteady > > -----Original Message-----> From: owner-
europa-list-server@matronics.com> [mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronic
s.com] On Behalf Of Robert C> Harrison> Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:46
 AM> To: europa-list@matronics.com> Subject: RE: Europa-List: Trike Main ge
<ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>> > Hi! Michael> IMHO there has been insufficient a
ttention paid to this question of> loaded toe in. G-PTAG is too heavy on ty
re wear and when winched> backwards up the trailer ramps the reverse toe is
 really excessive. I> last used washing up soap on the ramps which shows th
e tyre scrubbing> instead of deforming.> It almost calls for a control syst
em at the top of the gear legs to be> able to "vernier" the toe setting?> R
egards> Bob Harrison G-PTAG> > -----Original Message-----> From: owner-euro
pa-list-server@matronics.com> [mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.co
m] On Behalf Of Michael> Grass> Sent: 27 March 2008 00:52> To: europa-list@
matronics.com> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trike Main gear sockets> > --> Eur
opa-List message posted by: "Michael Grass" <m.grass@comcast.net>> > Duncan
,> > I can not give you any ideas how the tracking will change once the pla
ne> is loaded. I believe based on the geometric setup, the gear will flex>
out (getting wider) and will toe in. I am not sure yet how I will be> able
to> > measure it but definatly will try once the plane is loaded but this w
ill> > still take quite some time. This summer I hope I get the wings close
d> and all liftpins, crossbar and the flap drive tube in.> > Regards> > Mic
hael Grass> A266 Trigear Detroit> ----- Original Message -----> From: "Dunc
an & Ami McFadyean" <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>> To: <europa-list@matro
nics.com>> Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:46 PM> Subject: Re: Europa-List:
& Ami McFadyean" > > <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>> >> > Michael,> > Any
thoughts (or measurements) as to how the tracking changes once the> > > wei
ght of the aircraft is placed on the legs (that have been set-up to> > > ze
ro toe-in/toe-out)?> >> > Duncan McF.> > ----- Original Message ----- > > F
rom: "Michael Grass" <m.grass@comcast.net>> > To: <europa-list@matronics.co
m>> > Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:33 AM> > Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tr
ike Main gear sockets> >> >> >> Hi Rob,> >>> >> The complaint I have is to
myself that I do not find the time to do> more> >> building. I enjoy time s
pend on my plane. The point I tried to make> is > >> that> >> the builder s
pend quite some time on the web for the main gear> sockets.> >> Even withou
t the top on you spend a lot time bending over.> >> Building should be fun.
 It is more fun if you work smart and try to> have > >> as> >> easy access
as possible. To me, time spend building is therapy. What> you> >> don't wan
t is therapy after time spend building so work smart and> enjoy > >> the> >
> quality time spend with your project.> >>> >> What I did, I used bondo an
d stuck 5 reference points to the garage > >> floor. 3> >> along the center
line of the fuselage. One in the front, one in the> center > >> of> >> the
main gear legs and one in the center under the fin. all lined up> and > >>
on> >> the exact same height and in level along a line.> >>> >> Then I bond
ed with bondo the endpoints of the main gear legs to the > >> floor.> >> Ag
ain made sure with Pythagoras help that it was square to the center> > >> l
ine> >> and on the same> >> level.> >>> >> After that I rolled my fuselage
cradle over those points and used M12> >> threaded rod as a height adjustme
nt to level the fuselage over my 3> >> reference points along the center li
ne and clamped the main gear legs> > >> into> >> position.> >>> >> This kep
t the fuselage the whole time igid and secured in place.> >>> >> I kept thi
s setup in place till the top fuselage was bonded on.> Nothing> >> moved an
d all is plum, squared and level.> >>> >>> >>> >> Regards> >>> >>> >> Micha
el Grass> >> A266 Trigear, Detroit> >>> >> ----- Original Message ----- > >
> From: "Rob Housman" <rob@hyperion-ef.com>> >> To: <europa-list@matronics.
com>> >> Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 10:36 AM> >> Subject: RE: Europa-List
Rob Housman"> <rob@hyperion-ef.com>> >>>> >>> We cuss a lot.> >>>> >>>> >>>
 Best regards,> >>>> >>> Rob Housman> >>> Irvine, CA> >>> Europa XS Tri-Gea
r> >>> A070> >>> Airframe complete> >>>> >>> -----Original Message-----> >>
> From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com> >>> [mailto:owner-europa-li
st-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of Michael> > >>> Grass> >>> Sent: Monda
y, March 24, 2008 6:14 AM> >>> To: europa-list@matronics.com> >>> Subject:
Re: Europa-List: Trike Main gear sockets> >>>> >>> --> Europa-List message
posted by: "Michael Grass"> <m.grass@comcast.net>> >>>> >>> Craig,> >>>> >>
> My web took some 80h to complete without thhe top on. I can not> imagine>
 >>> how> >>> peope do this with the top and no frequent vistits to the> ch
iropractor.> >>>> >>> Regards> >>>> >>> Michael Grass> >>>> >>> A266, 914,
Woodcomp prop,> >>>> >>> ----- Original Message ----- > >>> From: "raggi677
1" <craigb@onthenet.com.au>> >>> To: <europa-list@matronics.com>> >>> Sent:
 Monday, March 24, 2008 12:15 AM> >>> Subject: Europa-List: Trike Main gear
raigb@onthenet.com.au>> >>>>> >>>> Just curious, how many of you fitted the
 main gear leg sockets> before> >>>> you bonded the top on.> >>>>> >>>>> >>