Re: Europa-List: Tailplane flutter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tailplane flutter
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:35:05
There is a slight misunderstanding regarding where the wear in the
"torque tube assembly" occurrs. The torque tube itself is a hardened
(possibly crome moly) steel.

Having just implemented Mod 62 we found that there was no noticeable
wear in the torque tube itself. All the wear occurred in the TP9 and
TP12 components as these do not appear to be hardened steel (or as hard
as the torque tube itself).

You are right about the reaming needing to be done accurately and it is
advisable to drill each hole from the outside and not through the tube.
The reaming should also be done from the outside and not through the
opposing holes. The factory specified drill size and reamer is crucial
(23/64 drill and 3/8 reamer) - dont be tempted to use a 3/8 or 9.5mm
drill - it will ruin the job. Incidentally we measured the factory
supplied pins and found them to be a couple of thou oversize which is
probably a good thing.

The factory instructions say you should ream through the whole assembly
but our experience was that this opened the holes out too much with a
slightly looser fit. We practiced on a spare piece of mild steel tube
before risking our engineering skills on the real thing. The purists
among you will say this leads to misalignment of the holes however under
the circumstances we found this simply made for a tighter fit.

We drilled and reamed all the holes individually making sure the
opposing hole had a TP14 pin inserted half way. We then assembled the
whole assembly once on the workbench and it was necessary to lightly
hammer all the pins into place.

We thought it prudent to assemble at least once in case of a possible
misalignment even though this process will have started to wear the pin
holes. The risk of discovering the misalignment down the back end of the
tailplane and the attendant possibility of being unable to remove the
pins was not an option we wanted to contemplate. In the final event a
fair amount of tapping with a hammer was needed to fully drive the pins
home but has resulted in an excellent solid fit. Only time will tell how
good a job this makes.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS

PS: Im not sure the bolted option will prevent wear/ elongation of the
holes.  I had a Shadow pre the Europa and a lot of the tubular
components were held together using bolts - in time the holes still
elongated.

I did suggest to Andy that perhaps building the counterweights into the
leading edge of the tailplanes would eliminate the need for the
counterbalance arm but he was quick to point out this would require a
substantial increase in the weight needed due to the relatively short
distance between the torque tube and leading edges. Ultimately this may
not be as big a problem as it seems since many Europas with heavy VP
props have additional weight in the rear anyway. If this could be used
to counterbalance the tailplane it would be likking two birds with one
stone.

Still I am not a design engineer and I havent done the sums - and
wouldnt know how to.