RE: Europa-List: Trailer caution

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Trailer caution
From: Richard Schultz <Rschultz5@houston.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:03:14

The link below will give you some photos of a wing support and holder that I
have used. I have used it several times to carry the aircraft in excess of
1000 miles without so much as a hint of damage. I work in the oil and gas
industry we do a lot of work with vibration dampening. I asked the guys that
run the shake tables about a design to prevent road damage to my wing and
reduce stress on both the leading edge and spar. The outcome was a firm
blocking system clamping down on the spar with the bell cranks tight up
against and additionally a bungee cord holding the aileron bell crank to the
hold down. The wing tip is supported by two layers of floor carpet. The
first layer is held in place with a metal clamp attached to another bungee
cord running over a boat roller and designed to support and hold the wing. A
second layer of carpet is placed loose over the first and a plastic bin
liner is added to the wing skin to prevent the carpet from scratching the
paint. It ends up that the carpet fibers are a really great vibration
damper. I use the 3m Blue painters tape to hold the plastic liner in place
and also to wrap around the flap hinges to prevent the flaps from moving or
bouncing up and down.

http://home.houston.rr.com/n262ae/trailer.htm

Rich Schultz

N262AE

122 hours and the most fun I have ever had.