Re: Europa-List: Mono gear collapse

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono gear collapse
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:03:29

It was always interesting to note the company requiring a minimum 2 cm clearance
between the top of the wheel and the fuselage line with the gear down. After
installing the undercarriage  and then the weight of the engine etc my clearance
is below the 2cm. However on reading the over centre problem and undercarriage
coming up after a bump on T/O I would summise that perhaps the 2cm clearance
requirement should not be stated. To remain in the over centre safe position
(u/c down) the clearance is irrelevant and maybe why builders have taken it
into account and therefore the undercarriage is too close to the over centre
neutral position needing only a bump to reverse it.
Just a thought.
I had my u/c come up for a different reason, the rebate lock moved up after a
bumpy
landing allowing the lever to move IN SLOW MOTION up. The remedy is a $2
piano wire fix to spring load the latch in the down position. I have the details
of that installation if anyone wants it. Could save you some money!!!
Tim
--
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street

---- Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> The problem with kit aircraft is that you have to 'reverse engineer' the
> manual
to try to understand what the designer intended, and then check that the
components
received come close.
> A set of engineering drawings/plans would make it all so much easier!
>
> Duncan McF.

out at about 5 kts ground speed.  A slight bump caused it to bounce off center
and totally distort/destroy the gear lever and all the mechanisms attached to
it.  The build manual is wrong and if it had been correct this never would have
happened.

>   I'm surmising most of this because the accident occured with my test pilot
at the controls.  Also I did not perform the teardown/rebuild converstion to tri
gear- my builder assist center performed this.

>   Words to the wise.... take a look at someone else's mono gear retraction
> mechanism
before accepting the manual's instructions as the gospel truth.