Re: Europa-List: Ground Plane

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ground Plane
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 03:38:58
Al-

I have mine installed but have not used it yet.  I think you are going to be
much
better off with a vertical dipole in the Europa than a ground plane.  The Archer
antenna the others spoke about is a vertical dipole.  Mine is fastened to
a piece of balsa wood that is fitted to the contour of the fuselage on the port
side as far aft as possible.  It is just about opposite the inspection port
in the root of the rudder.  I'll let you know how it works in a year or so.

Jim Puglise - A-283

From: "AlStills" <astills@cox.net>

> Hi all,
> I've been having a little problem with ATC reading my transponder all the
> time. I suspect a bit of shadowing.. I have the 2 1/2"-3" transponder
> antenna mounted
> upside down on a shelf on the rear corner of the baggage bay. I have a 6"
> steel ground plane mounted to the antenna. What size ground plane have
> others used
> successfully and where is your antenna mounted. ATC reads me better out of
> KGEU with a feed from Luke AFB while KDVT (where I'm hangered) gets their
> feed
> from Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. By far KDVT is worse than KGEU. I know
> there is difference in the feed from the different radars but need to get
> rid of most of the
> shadowing if possible. Sure would make me more presentable to the guys at
> KDVT. (One of the busiest GA ariports in the nation)
> Have about 8 hrs on the plane now and the grin is still in place. Gets even
> bigger the more I fly!
>
> Al Stills
> N625AZ

<DIV>Al-</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have mine installed but have not used it yet.&nbsp; I think you are going
to be much better off with a vertical dipole in the Europa than a ground
plane.&nbsp;
The Archer antenna the others spoke about is a vertical dipole.&nbsp;
Mine is&nbsp;fastened to a piece of balsa wood that is fitted to the contour
of the fuselage on the&nbsp;port side as far aft as&nbsp;possible.&nbsp; It is
just about opposite the inspection port in the root of the rudder.&nbsp; I'll
let you know how it works in a year or so.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jim Puglise - A-283&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px
solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>From: "AlStills"
&lt;astills@cox.net&gt;
<BR><BR>&gt; --&gt; Europa-List message posted by: "AlStills"
<ASTILLS@COX.NET><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Hi all, <BR>&gt; I've been having a
little problem with ATC reading my transponder all the <BR>&gt; time. I suspect
a bit of shadowing.. I have the 2 1/2"-3" transponder <BR>&gt; antenna mounted
<BR>&gt; upside down on a shelf on the rear corner of the baggage bay. I have
a 6" <BR>&gt; steel ground plane mounted to the antenna. What size ground plane
have <BR>&gt; others used <BR>&gt; successfully and where is your antenna
mounted. ATC reads me better out of <BR>&gt; KGEU with a feed from Luke AFB
while
KDVT (where I'm hangered) gets their <BR>&gt; feed <BR>&gt; from Phoenix
Sky Harbor airport. By far KDVT is worse than KGEU. I know <BR>&gt; there is